What is the difference between Natural / Organic/ Sulphate- Free / Chemical Free shampoo?
* A Herbal or Naturally-made shampoo contains ingredients which comprises of hydrosols, herbal extracts, vitamins, essential oils or any plant based material.
* Organic shampoo comprises of materials that have been derived through certified organic methods. For instance, organic oils, organically grown herbs or organic essential oils and the list goes on.
* Sulphate-Free Shampoos or Chemical-Free Shampoos are mainly made without adding parabens and surfactants like SLS, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, alkyl ether phosphates, benzalkaonium chloride (BAC), and perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS) etc.
What are the pros and cons of switching to a naturally-made shampoo from a commercial?
* A non-commercial shampoo does not make a good amount of lather as they have relatively no or less chemicals in them. By chemicals, i mean preservatives or materials to increase the shelf life. Please do not think of a preservative as a harmful ingredient for your scalp. A preservative is the most crucial ingredient to add in any product that has aqua in it. Unpreserved or poorly preserved products would present a serious public health concern for consumers.
* Non-commercial shampoos are not only gentler on your hair, it’s also beneficial to your body and your health, because you’re not absorbing the chemicals found in regular shampoos. Some of these chemicals can cause skin irritation or potentially even contribute to a number of health problems. Plus, regular shampoo can actually harm your scalp and hair, by reducing the size of hair follicles, damaging the oil glands and causing your scalp to become dry. All of these things can potentially lead to hair loss over time.
* There are a few other advantages to natural shampoos, including the fact that they’re better for the environment because they’re biodegradable and don’t contain chemicals and synthetic ingredients that can damage the planet. They’re also less likely to act as allergens or irritants, making them ideal for a wide range of skin and hair types, as well as for people who are sensitive to chemicals.
There are a few good brands making chemical-free shampoo / sulphate-free shampoo / organic shampoo / natural shampoo in Pakistan, here's a list:
2. Herbal Shampoo by The Nature's Store.